KNEE HIGH NATURALISTS
2013 Programs run Wednesdays and Thursday through April.
Binder Park Zoo’s Knee High Naturalists program is back! The Knee High Naturalist program, allows both adult and child to learn about the natural world through hands-on education. Each 2 hour program will include a short animal presentation, biofacts, games and activities and outdoor time. Each session will aid in fostering a year-round awareness of the wonders of nature that are all around us. Knee High Naturalists is an excellent way to spend time with your child in a natural setting. Remember to dress for the weather. Pre-registration is required for this program. For more information or to register please contact Amanda Bailiff at (269)979-1351 ext. 133 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Knee High Naturalists Fast Facts - Register Online Now!
Length: 2 hours
Cost: $10 for one child (1-5 years old) and one adult (18 years and up)
Extra adults are $5; extra children ages 1-5 are $7 and children under 1 are free*
*Adults must be able to supervise all participants if bringing additional children.
Buy a punch card and get 10 programs for the price of 9 ($90).
Binder Park Zoo members receive 10% off
Ages: 1-5 years old with an adult
Time: Wednesdays 9-11am, Thursdays 9-11am
Location: Cross Administration Building (Zoo Office)
Program may include all or some of the following:
- Lessons with biofacts (bones, pelts, feathers, fur, etc.) and short contact with some of our Education animals
- Games and activities that reinforce the program topic
- Arts and crafts projects
- Outside time, which may include a zoo walk, nature walk or exploration time
2013 Program Schedule and Topics
February 6 and 7 – Tracks! – children will explore animal tracks and compare them to their own.
February 13 and 14 – Valentine’s Day – show the zoo animals some love by helping us celebrate Valentine’s Day.
February 20 and 21 – Snow- discover which animals enjoy snow and which ones hate it.
February 27 and 28 – We All Need Trees – children will explore trees using their noses and mouths.
March 6 and 7 – Hiding in Plain Sight – learn about wild animal adaptations for hiding.
March 13 and 14 – Spider Web Wonders – get up close and personal with spiders and spider webs.
March 20 and 21 – Bursting Buds – explore twigs, buds and tree flowers while celebrating the coming of Spring.
March 27 and 28 – Amphibians and Reptiles – learn all about native amphibians and reptiles.
April 3 and 4 – Animal Care & Enrichment- learn how zookeepers take care of the animals and what they do to enrich their lives. *Since this session takes place over Spring Break, children of all ages are welcome to attend*
April 10 and 11- Get in Touch with Trees – children will explore trees and their parts by using the sense of touch.
April 17 and 18 – Earth Day- learn about the Earth and ways you can protect the planet as we celebrate Earth Day.
- In order to ensure a quality program, Binder Park Zoo requires that at least 7 child/parent pairs are registered for a Knee High Naturalist program. If there are not 7 pairs registered, the camp session will be cancelled and a refund will be issued to those families that pre-registered.
- Due to limited classroom space, all Knee High Naturalist programs have a maximum of 20 child/adult pairs allowed to ensure a quality program for all guests. Once we have reached our maximum, a message will be posted on our website and we will no longer be accepting registrations.
- Each Knee High Naturalist program includes a walk out-of-doors. We participate in nature walks unless there is inclement weather that prevents it. Please plan on being outside and dress accordingly. Please bring all outside apparel into the Jungle Room when you arrive for the program.
For more information please contact Amanda Bailiff at (269)979-1351 ext. 133 or email@example.com.